Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mission: Possibly possible

I've read the book. I've watched the video. I have the T-shirt. There's nothing left now but to build the boat. This is my challenge: to build the Nutshell Pram, and to make a documentary film about my endeavour.

Here's what I know about boatbuilding:
Here's what I know about filmmaking:

Here's one thing I do know: I want to build this boat.

About ten years ago, I bought a kit from Wooden Boat for a model of the Nutshell Pram. Attempts to interest a male member of my family to build it failed. Every couple of years, I'd resurrect the little kit and wave it before my husband, pass it under my son's nose, but not even the Nutshell's innate cuteness could dislodge Cary from his sailing magazines, or Parker from his video games. Then came 2006 and my New Year's resolution to be a better blonde: I'll build it myself! First I'll warm up to it by building the model, then move on to the life-size boat.

These are my obstacles to boatbuilding: No woodworking skills whatsoever, and no place to build it.
These are my obstacles to filmmaking: No camera and no camera.

Lucky me, though. Two things stand in my favor:
1. Plenty of sexy power tools and trusty hand tools.
2. A blonde's obliviousness to obstacles.

Into the wind!

1 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Schmolzanderson said...

I'm your biggest fan. This will be an exciting mission for you!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home